16 December 2008

Greccio Christmas at Mount St. Francis

Tonight I joined many locals and a few intrepid travellers in celebrating a Greccio Christmas at Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre just outside Cochrane. (I'll do some research on the origins of this event for my next entry, since I cannot remember everything Brother Kevin shared.) For now, suffice it to say I was powerfully moved by the simplicity of this live Nativity, the singing of several favourite carols, and the joy of jubilant children playing in the snow while their sane parents visited indoors.

Rob and Amber Low represented Holy Joe and Mary, and little Brayden was a perfectly happy Baby Jesus (despite being outdoors in temps well below freezing). Two neighbouring donkeys and a horse represented themselves, and hot chocolate and homemade cookies were served by a friendly lady in a cheery Santa hat.

It was wonderful to see some old friends and a couple of King's Fold folk (KF is another retreat centre about 40 kms outside Cochrane, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains; I go there as often as I can, but since Mt. St. Francis is only 5 kms from home, I spend time here about once a month now. The food and fellowship is satisfying for body and soul; the peace is palpable and the setting divine. Come and see! http://www.mountstfrancis.ca/).

Our friendly local Cochrane Eagle columnist and his wife were present, too. {Thanks for the ride up the hill, PJ, and the ride back down, WH.} I truly am blessed by cosy Cochrane's gift of a caring community, where not even the minus twenties keep us homebound for too long.

More on the weekend: I merely wanted to wish everyone a simple and sacred Christmas season.

No comments: